Lush, creamy avocados have become year-round fruits. (Yes, technically, avocado is fruit!) That’s a good thing, because avocados can become sauces, condiments, desserts, even fries. When choosing avocados, select fruits that are uniformly soft but still ever-so-slightly firm – you don’t want to be able to poke your finger into a soft spot. Ripe avocados are generally also darker overall than unripe, brighter green avocados.
The easiest way to peel avocados is to cut them in half, then carefully thunk a heavy knife into the pit. Twist and pull the pit away from the flesh. (Use a towel to grip the pit and pull it off of the knife.) Cut the halves in half again to create quarters, then peel the skin away from the flesh, leaving smooth wedges that you can chop, smash, or cut into thinner wedges.
- Use mashed avocado as a condiment: slather it on everything from sandwiches to wraps.
- Make avocado pudding! Stir unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao and maple syrup into mashed avocado to create an instant version of chocolate pudding. (Start with a 2:1 ratio of powder to syrup and add to taste.)
- For the ultimate non-starchy french fry, dip avocado wedges in egg white, then coat with whole-wheat bread crumbs, almond flour, and/or grated Parmesan. (If you like, pre-mix the coating with a pinch of cayenne or Italian herbs.) Paint lightly with melted coconut oil, then bake at 425F for 15 minutes on parchment-covered baking sheets. Flip fries over gently and bake another 3 to 5 minutes or until both sides are golden brown.
- Guacamole time! Stir chopped tomatoes, garlic, and green onion and/or cilantro into mashed avocado, then add a dash of salt and a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.
- Make a refreshing chilled avocado soup by blending avocado with coconut milk, a dash of ground ginger, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve topped with chopped tomatoes or grated raw carrot.
- Add avocados to smoothies to create a creamy, rich texture.
- To dress up store-bought salsas, stir in freshly chopped avocado.
- Garnish your chili (and other soups) with chopped avocados. You can even toss chopped avocado into stir-frys!
This is one healthy fat you want to include in your diet on a regular basis! For more on healthy fats check my book The Skinny on Fats.