It is important to get a good quality virgin Coconut oil. You will know you have a good oil if it has a nice flavor and is pleasant enough to eat by the spoonful. Virgin coconut oil is minimally processed so as to retain all of the coconut aroma and flavor. Be sure to avoid ordinary coconut oil has been refined and deodorized so that it has little or no taste or smell, not to mention missing some of the following health qualities.
Health Qualities of Coconut Oil:
- Healthy form of saturated fat
- Very stable oil – withstands heat, good for cooking
- No refrigeration necessary
- Burns quickly for energy – medium chain fats (MCFAs)
- Increases metabolism – helps with weight loss!
- Immune booster – powerful antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal agents
- Thyroid support
- Anti-Candida properties
- Skin rejuvenator
Tips to Implement Coconut Oil in Your Diet:
- Use as replacement for all processed oils (soy, corn, canola, etc.), shortening, margarine, etc.
- Use for baking of all natural brownies, cakes, cookies, muffins and other baked goods!
- Use in light frying of foods or to sauté vegetables, meats, eggs, etc.
- Use on popcorn along with some Celtic sea salt for a great snack!
- Spread on bread (try ½ butter and ½ coconut oil mixed together).
- Take as a supplement – 1-2 Tbsp in warm water or tea before meals, especially great for weight loss or anti-candida effects.
- Mix into soups or stews.
- Spread on face and body as a great skin moisturizer.
- Rub it into your hair and scalp for healthy, shiny hair
Other Forms of Coconut to Explore in your Diet:
- Coconut milk
- Coconut cream
- Desiccated coconut
- Freeze-dried coconut
- Coconut Juice (water)
- Coconut vinegar
Ideas for Other Forms of Coconut:
- Add coconut milk or cream to soups, smoothies, shakes, ice cream, or other desserts (10 oz coconut milk yields about 3.5 oz coconut oil).
- Use coconut vinegar in salad dressings or spreads
- Add coconut milk or coconut flakes to oatmeal.
- Add dried coconut flakes to trail mix or sprinkle in yogurt.
- Drink coconut juice/water as a sports drink to replace electrolytes after a workout or sweat